Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cyanotypes again

I printed seven cyanotypes today. Basically just this all day process of trying one, thinking about what the largest problem was, reading up on it and making a single change and seeing what happened. There are clearly several areas for improvement, including the original negatives being the right density/contrast or not. It's clear to me at this point that it's going to require a fair amount of fiddling to get the perfect result - I've found too many articles that have lots of detail about what to do and then at the end they change some crazy driver setting that won't apply to any other printer. Gee, thanks.

I made progress on other areas as well. This stuff turns out to be less generally applicable than one might think - my local tap water's pH is different than yours so this probably isn't going to make a great "cookbook" for anybody. The upshot is there's some stuff I can fiddle with now and some may require a bit of gear - from cheap stuff like some trays and tongs so I can put the paper in fluid more easily to somewhat less cheap stuff like a decent contact frame. I went ahead and ordered a bunch of stuff as well as some more paper. So progress will probably be slowed while I wait for this stuff to show up, but I'm feeling much better about making the investment with some positive results already here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home